As we welcome in the new year with wishes for happiness, and many new resolutions, I want to share some recent research from the British Journal of Health Psychology which can help clarify how to make your resolutions last!
Not surprisingly, improvements in our well-being appear to primarily come as the results repeated actions. ie. Want to learn a new language or sports — practice it regularly. Want to get fit — exercise, increase your capacity for gratitude, mindfulness, optimism and love — practice regularly!
So if habituating positive changes in the long term is key, how do we make a new years resolution last?
Success comes from Intention.
- In the control group of the study, 38% of participants performed their goal (vigorous exercise at least once per week).
- In a group given motivational reading, 35% of participants exercised at least once per week.
- In the intention group, an incredible 91% of participants exercised at least once per week.
These were the people that formulate a plan for when and where they would exercise over the following week, and explicitly stated their intention as:
“During the next week, I will partake in at least 20 minutes of [NEW HABIT] on [DAY] at [TIME OF DAY] at/in [PLACE]”
So I wish you all a happy new year and offer you my support to make your resolutions into lasting and rewarding changes. Coaching with me starts at $15/week (around £11), or join my one-to-one program for video sessions and much more.
With infinite love,
A Good Way To Think is a personal trainer for your mindset. We share scientifically-backed, practical exercises, developed from our Happier Mindset Training Programs, so you and our clients can enjoy even more happiness than before!
1. Join the Mailing list
2. Buy our Happier Mindset Training Manual
3. Experience a one-to-one Happier Mindset Training Program or ease in with an affordable coaching plan
4. Explore the Freebies for much more!
Thanks for being a part of the community!